Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Joan

I’ve had grandparents pass, but I wasn’t very close to them, so my sorrow was more for my parents than myself; I’ve lost pets, which if you know me, feels like losing a best friend, but I do realize a person is different, especially now. 
A few weeks ago, I lost the first person that actually affected me in my adult life.
Monday, September 10th God summoned my Aunt Joan home.  She passed away from a heart attack, her husband by her side.  She was, is, a very special person.  She taught me how to draw, she got me into photography, & when I was younger, we would lie and tell people I was her daughter {she has two boys so my Mom shared me with her}.  She had the best laugh
Was one of the sweetes people I knew; I don’t have one negative memory of her or one bad thing to say.  She was my mom’s best friend, her person, her soul mate,


My heart broke when I learned of her passing.  She was 61 years young and still rocking high heels, skinny jeans, silver nail polish, chunky costume jewelry, & colored eye shadows.
She was there for birthdays


Holidays
Weddings, showers, everything...

Oh, and boy did she LOOOOOOOOVE Elvis.
One of my favorite stories about her and my uncle Mike, is of them growing up.  Joan wasn’t allowed to date just one boy {there was a fear of her getting too serious}, but Mike wouldn’t have it any other way.  He would have boys pick Joan up at her house and he’d be waiting at the end of the street for her {very sly}!  They were/are very much in love.
Her service that celebrated her life was beautiful & moving.  The Priest that preceded it did an amazing job; just when you were on the brink of tears, he’d say something funny that would lighten up the mood.  For example, he started the service by talking about Mike & Joan’s wedding day, and how beautiful she looked, and then he added, “In Dickey’s words, ha-cha cha!”  It made the room fill with laughter.  It was a charming, intimate service, & a good way to say goodbye to her Earth form.

A few days after Joan’s passing my mom sent me this poem; I think it’s worth sharing:
When I Come Home To Heaven
 When I come home to Heaven
How joyful it will be!
For on that day at last
My risen Lord I'll see.

No greater happiness than
To see Him face to face,
To see the love in His eyes
And feel His warm embrace.

I've done nothing to deserve
That perfect home above,
It was given freely through
The grace of Jesus' love.

Then why should earthly cares
Weigh down upon me so?
They'll be a distant memory
When home at last I go.
“This poem brought me peace thinking of Joan in Jesus’ arms” ~Cindi Zindler aka My mom.
Whenever a friend, co-worker, or loved one loses someone, I send/say these following passages from the Bible, I find them very comforting:

“For the saved, death ushers us into the presence of Christ. "To be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord" (2 Corinthians 5:8; Philippians 1:23).

“So real is the promise of the believer's resurrection, that the physical death of a Christian is called "sleep" (1 Corinthians 15:51; 1 Thessalonians 5:10).

“We look forward to that time when "there shall be no more death" (Revelation 21:4).  

I interpret this as we are never truly “dead,”  just dreaming an endless “sleep.” 
Sweet dreams Aunt Joan.  We love you, and I’m very lucky to have you as an angel watching over me & our family.

No comments:

Post a Comment