Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Diesel’s Progress: Entry 2

Problem 1: "Triggers" on Walks
Progress:
We’ve been walking him almost every day.  We bought a slip lead martingale collar combo similiar to this one:

which has really helped.  I'll post an actual photo of him wearing his later.
Every time we see a potential trigger cody jogs passed it.  Diesel still pays attention to it, so there is a lot more work to be done there.  One night I was walking/running him {it was 11:00 pm, we didn’t think anyone else would be out, we were wrong!} and there was a man walking his Golden Retriever… Diesel reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally wanted to meet this dog, so he took off, pulling me behind him {there was no way I could stop him!} and he ran up to play with the dog… LUCKILY that dog was nice and submissive or it could’ve gone an entirely differnet way.  This tought me that I am NOT ready to walk him… *sigh

Problem 2: He “owns” too much
Progress:
He moves when we go to sit on the couch/bed.  When we tell him “Off!” he gets off.  This has helped tremendously when he gets super excited and wants to leap & jump and go crazy on our new couches.

Problem 3: Giving too much attention
Progress:
We don’t pet him {or Lashes} the minute we walk in the door, we wait for them to calm down, and them show them love.  When he walks over and puts his head on me, I ignore him, I wait until he’s not paying attention and then I call him over to me.  This was VERY hard in the beginning, BUT I’ve been getting way more kisses than ever.

Problem 4: Reaction to Noises
Progress:
Diesel no longer leaps of the couch and goes barreling towards the front door yelling/barking excessively.  Now, he quickly walks up to the front window, looks out, and will make a small bark and look back at us.  When we tell him to “leave it!” or “thank you!” he’ll come back and lie down on the floor or his bed

Problem 5: I belong to him
Progress:
He’s not allowed to lean on me, or sit on me after he hears a noise.  If I allow him on the couch/bed and he lays on my foot/lap that’s fine.  He’s no longer allowed to boss me around.

Problem 6: Owning the Front Door
Progress:
Starting to see a trend with his problems?  Any who. 
We ordered pizza last weekend, and when the doorbell rang, he, of course, went bananas!  Cody had him go lay down on his bed and wait there {CoDiY had to use some force to hold him back in the beginning} while I paid the man and received my square box of deliciousness… Lashes on the other hand needs to take a chill pill, that girl is crazy for strangers!

No comments:

Post a Comment